In a world that is driven towards advancement, academics form a vital part. With increasing competition and a yearning to build a better future, we are invested in providing our children the best possible education. The changing times require a student not only to be involved in academics but also to put their best foot forward in extracurricular activities. So a student remains engaged in a lot of things which might act as a source of stress. Along with an overly scheduled life, being expected to perform well in exams and being under constant evaluation process in school can breed anxiety in children.
Mindfulness practices can help a student enhance their academic performance amidst all the stressors. Studies have shown that Mindfulness helps in improving the overall grades of students. Some researchers have indicated improvements specifically in Mathematics and language skills. When researchers investigated the benefits of regular Mindfulness practices they found it to have a long term impact on academic performance.
So how does Mindfulness work to enhance academic performance? Regular Mindfulness practice can help a student in the following ways:
- If one practices regular mindfulness it helps in increasing one’s ability to pay attention and concentrate. So when a child is in the classroom listening to the lessons being taught he/she will be able to focus better. It will also help the child understand the lesson well.
- Mindfulness practices have been effective in enhancing one’s memory capacity thereby making the process of learning and retaining information easier.
- One’s problem solving and decision making ability is known to improve with the help of mindfulness practices. So disciplines that require active problem solving skills have yielded better grades.
- As Mindfulness has direct impact on self management skills, with its impact students will be able to organize their tasks and manage time better.
- The most important benefit of mindfulness is stress reduction. Reduced stress will help a student put all his effort in studies without getting distracted or overwhelmed.The above mentioned benefits of Mindfulness in enhancing academic achievement are well established. But when academic performance improves it also has an effect on self confidence and motivates the student. The sense of empowerment in turn helps one feel satisfied and contributes to his/her wellbeing.To book individual mindfulness sessions for your child, Get in touch!